Important Things to Know about Baby Powder
Almost every mother has baby powder in her arsenal, which has already become a classic skin care product for a newborn baby. What is baby powder? Is it really useful? How to choose and use it correctly? What are the best brands? You will find the answers to all these questions in this article.
What is baby powder?
Baby powder is a special cosmetic powder that is intended for children’s skin for therapeutic or prophylactic purposes. Baby powder has the appearance of fine powder, has a pleasant texture and aroma.
The powder absorbs the excess moisture and dries the skin, which prevents the formation of diaper rash, itching, irritation. Most often, baby powder is applied to the axillary zone, groin area and elbow bends.
The need for this product does not occur immediately after birth, as children under 1 month do not have developed sweat glands – they sweat a little, therefore, there is no need for powder. At this age, pediatricians recommend lubricating the above areas with baby cream immediately after hygiene procedures.
How to choose baby powder?
- Like any other cosmetic product, baby powder can be faked. If you want to buy a quality product, pay attention to the label. The errors in the text description, dim label and fuzzy printing, crookedly pasted label, open lid without membrane and safety film should warn you. The bank with baby powder should clearly specify shelf life, as well as the name of the manufacturer and address of the company;
- Before using the product, examine the consistency and smell. There should be no lumps in the baby powder, and the smell should be absent or slight. For babies of the first months of life, it is recommended to choose powder without flavors, otherwise, the child may be allergic;
- Study the composition of baby powder when buying the product. It should contain only mineral talc, potato or rice starch, cornmeal, zinc. Chamomile and aloe lavender extracts can also be added to it. The presence of other chemical components in baby powder is a sign that this you should not buy this cosmetic product;
- Before making a purchase, compare several cosmetic products and choose the best one. The best product is not always the most expensive (perhaps, its price is lower due to the very small weight of the product in the package);
- If your baby is allergic to the powder, you’d better buy liquid talc;
- Learn how to properly use the powder for babies.
Top 8 baby powder for babies
- Johnson’s Baby Powder, Pure Cornstarch, Aloe & Vitamin E
- Johnson’s Baby Powder
- Gold Bond Cornstarch Plus Baby Powder
- Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort Body Powder
- Honest Company Organic Baby Powder
- California Baby Non-Talc Powder
- Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder Talc Free
- Caldesene Protecting Powder
How to use baby powder?
If you want your baby powder to be useful, you need to apply it properly. First, it is necessary to apply the powder to cleansed and dried skin. When applied to wet skin, powder dampens, clogs pores, forms lumps.
It is recommended to try the powder on your hands and then, with a patting motion, apply to the baby’s skin. Do not apply too much powder.
You can not use baby powder and baby cream at the same time, as they have a completely opposite effect – baby cream moisturizes the skin, and baby powder dries it.