Why is Baby Crying?
Newborns and babies up to a year often cry for no apparent reason. But in fact, there is a reason. How to identify the reason and soothe the child? There are many reasons, let’s enumerate them.
10 Reasons Why Babies Cry and What to Do
- Feeling of hunger. One of the first and foremost needs of infants is regular good nutrition. If the need is not satisfied on time, the baby will cry and remind parents of the feeding time. A small stomach of a baby cannot hold a lot of food for a long time, so children become hungry quickly. If a child makes sucking sounds, smacks his lips or sucks his fingers between sounds, this most likely indicates that it is time to feed him/her. You need to offer the baby some breastmilk or milk mixture. If the baby is hungry, his crying and anxiety will stop immediately;
- Diaper rash on the skin. A rash on the body in the diaper area (on the thighs, buttocks and genitals) can also be the cause of a baby crying. Inflamed skin delivers a lot of discomfort to the baby, and if it is not treated in a timely manner, it will cause blistering and will only aggravate the problem. To prevent diaper rash when changing a diaper, you should always use a protective, gently acting and hypoallergenic cream. From time to time, the diaper must be removed, the baby’s skin must “breathe”- the sensitive and delicate skin of the baby will be filled with oxygen, and excess moisture will not cause discomfort;
- Exhaustion. When a baby is exhausted, he/she simply does not know how to calm down. As a result, the child begins to cry a lot, attracting the attention of parents and hinting that he must put to bed. If the baby does not calm down after feeding, you need to try to slightly shake him, sing a lullaby, organize an even background noise. Many children fall asleep well in the fresh air. You can take an exhausted child on the balcony or on the street so that he/she quickly calms down and falls asleep;
- Wet diapers. This is another common cause of crying. Who would like to lie in wet and dirty diapers? Kids report this discomfort through crying or whims. A wet diaper irritates the soft and delicate skin of infants, causing them to show anxiety even in sleep. After changing the disposable panties or wet diaper, the child calms down and falls asleep. So, if the baby starts crying for no apparent reason, you should first look at his/her diaper;
- Baby is bored. Children should not be alone, they love communication. Most babies love to be the center of attention. If this does not happen for a long time, the baby may become bored and start crying, attracting the attention of adults. Some children are especially sensitive and they need more hugs than others. Such babies stop crying after tactile communication: touching their skin, gentle conversations or hugs. Heartbeat, warmth and body odor – sometimes that’s all the baby needs;
- Toothache. If a baby suddenly begins to cry often at the age of 6-8 months, this may indicate the beginning of teething. This process, as a rule, causes discomfort and pain in the baby’s mouth. It is recommended to feel his gum with a clean finger. If it’s swollen, the baby develops excessive salivation and constantly bites various objects, then, most likely, the process of teething has begun. In this case, you can give the child a slightly chilled piece of carrot, which will reduce discomfort for some time. To relieve pain, you can gently massage the baby’s sore gums. Gentle stroking and a slight wiggle also comfort the suffering of children in such a period. As soon as a new tooth erupts, the child will become much calmer;
- Colic. Gases and stomach discomfort also lead to a prolonged and inconsolable baby crying. If the child is worried about colic, he may cry for several hours. In such situations, even hugs will not help. The main cause of this problem is the air in the abdominal cavity of the infant formed during feeding. To alleviate the condition of the child, you need to press him to the chest in an upright position, warming his tummy. Another way: immerse the baby in a warm bath. This will distract him/her from discomfort and help to fall asleep faster. You can also put the child on the stomach with a small warm washcloth or heating pad, which will accelerate the release of gas from the stomach. Or you may lay the baby on the back so that his/her legs bent at the knees move on the principle of cycling. This will also contribute to the release of excess gases. With frequent colic, you should repeat this procedure 2-3 times a day. If home remedies do not help, then the baby should be examined by a doctor;
- Uncomfortable temperature in the house. If the child is too hot or cold, he also reports this through crying. He/she needs a comfortable temperature in the house. It is important not to overheat and not to chill the baby. There is no need to wear several layers of clothing, especially indoors. During sleep, do not cover the child with additional blankets – it may become too hot. To check whether the temperature is suitable for the baby, you can touch his/her stomach with your hand. If it is hot, then the blanket must be removed, and if it is cold, you can add another layer of bedspread. It is recommended to maintain the temperature around 18-22 C;
- The need to burp. When the baby fusses and cries after feeding, perhaps he wants to belch. This sometimes causes difficulties and, as a result, anxiety. Small children often swallow air when breastfeeding or sucking from a bottle. If swallowed air does not go out after burping, it is fraught with discomfort in the tummy. Therefore, after feeding, you should hold the baby upright, to stroke or rub his back slightly;
- The onset of the disease. Often babies cry a lot when they are sick or have a fever. The child cannot say that he feels bad, so you need to be vigilant and guided by crying signals. When a baby is sick, he/she cries in a little different way than usual: a little weaker, longer or on high tones. If you suspect the onset of the disease, consultation of the doctor is required. Self-diagnosis and treatment can be dangerous in this case.